Cenpower Generation Company Limited ('Cenpower or CGC') is a Special Purpose Vehicle created to develop the Kpone Independent Power Plant (KIPP) in the Tema industrial zone, close to Accra, Ghana’s capital.
The 350MW KIPP is among the largest private IPPs in the country, accounting for approximately 10% of Ghana’s total installed capacity and approximately 15% of available thermal generation capacity.
The plant is made up of:
- 161kV Collector Substation for power transmission
- On-site liquid fuel storage tanks with a capacity of 18,000 cubic metres
- 2 General Electric Frame 9E Gas Turbines
- Siemens Turbines
- 2 heaty recovery steam generator
- Electrical Generator and it’s Auxiliaries
As a Combined Cycle Gas Turbine ('CCGT') plant, it is amongst Ghana’s most fuel-efficient thermal power stations and, when in full production, will become a critical base-load component in meeting Ghana’s growing electricity demand.
Cenpower’s mission is to build an economically viable thermal power plant and supply electricity to the Electricity Company of Ghana in a safe, reliable and environmentally sustainable manner.
Cenpower’s vision is to be recognised as the best Independent Power Producer in Africa and one of the best in the world in terms of safety, reliability, efficiency and environmental compliance.
- Esprit De Corps (Teamwork) –!
Cenpower has chalked a number of firsts:
- First licensed IPP in Ghana.
- First greenfield project- financed IPP in Ghana taking fuel supply risk.
- First project to provide a working capital facility through a fuel financing facility for the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG).
- First thermal IPP project- financed in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Sumitomo Corporation (Japan)’s first thermal IPP investment in Africa.