In fulfilment of the ECOWAS Renewable Energy Policy (EREP) and National Renewable Energy Action Plans (NREAPs) of Member States, the Regional Certification Body (RCB) was established to provide quality credentialing and certification based on regional standards for skilled professionals, specialists and those new to working in the in the areas of sustainable energy. The rationale behind the establishment of the ECSES scheme and RCB is that for a successful development of a sustainable energy market and projects in ECOWAS region, there is the need for quality assurance at various levels. This includes quality assurance of equipment e.g. through the establishment and enforcement of product standards. However, high-quality products that will be permitted into the ECOWAS region will only provide the desired services if these systems or projects are designed, installed and maintained by highly qualified individuals. More specifically, the certification is a way to promote the quality and safety of sustainable energy systems. Certification gives the reassurance that professionals have the competencies and capacities required to complete a job safely and effectively.
To be a world-class certification body supporting the development of the sustainable energy market.
To remain West Africa's most respected certification body that measure the competence of individuals
RCB’s goal is to develop a regional certification scheme covering the 15 ECOWAS countries in partnership with its national institutions. The scheme (i) recognise individual's competencies to complete a sustainable energy job effectively and safely; (ii)promote quality assurance, quality standards, capacity development and consumer confidence; (iii) support the development of the renewable energy and energy efficiency market and industry; (iv) create value for the practitioners of the renewable energy and energy efficiency industry; (v) promote and verify government and non-government worker skill.
The principles and core values of RCB's and its activities are illustrated in figure 1 below.
Figure 1: Principles of the ECSES Scheme.
The certification positively impacts:
The candidate’s career through
- increased regional marketability and acknowledged training and certification;
- enhanced skills, reputation, credibility, & consumer confidence;
- mobility, the certification credentials that provides the “passport” to national and regional sustainable energy project, recognition and professional competitive advantage and job market in the ECOWAS region;
The industry development through
- availability of competent and efficient workforce;
- increased credibility and confidence to the clean technology by the potential investors (better system performance and reduced risks);
- satisfied customers (efficient installations, less technical failures, lower operational costs).